Saturday, February 12, 2011

response to TED video

So - I'm watching this and I'm trying to think about it in relation to my school.  Can I?  We have 32% Free and Reduced and 10% ELL.  Compared to other places - not bad.  Not bad at all.  However, I am still trying to focus on closing the achievement gap.  Why are my low SES and non English speaking kids still under performing as compared to their white, middle class peers?  Is technology access the answer?  If kids can teach themselves and can overcome barriers such as language and poverty - given just one computer - maybe there is something that I am missing.  I don't think we are currently doing anything "wrong" but I do think we could do things to make it better.  Of course - how could I blog and not comment on the fact that once again, someone is commenting on the issue of inequity.  The technology should go to the remote areas first.  Hmmm.  It boggles my mind that we know these things and we continue to foster inequities all across our educational system.  I need to remember the comment that the benefits to lower SES communities will far out weight the benefits to middle class - upper class.  I know some folks that need to watch this video.

1 comment:

  1. I think some of my colleagues would be blown away by the Mitra study. Parallel studies show much the same kind of data, too. There IS something there, and we need to look at it with fresh eyes, and have "Courageous Conversations" with our colleagues and superiors!

    ReplyDelete